Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Turtle and Chemo Man

So I have entered another good week and if the weather would make up it's mind my headaches might clear up. Some things have gone better this time ad some things have not. I think I have a better grasp on taking my meds and knowing which ones to take when. That was an important step. The next one was getting a feel for why my stomach felt bad at any given moment. In my reading I have found a number of articles talking about a "disconnected stomach" which makes it hard telling if you are feeling sick or hungry or have heartburn and so on. Eating meals steadily through the day helps with the hunger part. Sleeping through the night was not as easy this time around. I have watched a fair amount of shows on Netflix in the wee hours of the morning. One time is okay while several days in a row is more of an issue. I did have less arm pain this time although I musalthough that was one cause of my sleep issues. It seems I like to sleep on the arm that hurts. I wake up and roll off of it and then find myself right back on it when I wake up. Still I think it was a more manageable pain this time around. I didn't get in a run this weekend which was a bummer. I had to work on Sunday and I didn't want to risk being too tired as I wasn't sure how long I might be at the office. I was able to get out and run 3 miles this evening. It was a great night for a run in the park and although I could be paced by a box turtle at this point I was happy to get in all 3 miles without having to walk. I hope to get in another run on Thursday which is Chemo Eve. Here comes cycle 2. I am looking forward to the end of cycle 2 and getting another PET scan to see where things are at. It has been great to hear from so many friends and family. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and I promise to get back to everyone soon. It has been nice to feel good again this week. It helps keep you sane. I have found myself asking the same question alot this weekend and week. How many days of feeling almost normal is enough to feel refreshed enough to start another round. Of course I am well aware that there are worse treatments than what I am going through and that there are people who are having a hard time in treatment from all kinds of cancer so I am not complaining about the way things are going I just wonder... How much time would it take to recharge and what is the smallest amount of time that would work? It always amazed me how quickly my wife went from labor pain to enjoying being with our new born children. The human mind and spirit are amazing and so are the healing powers of love and friendship. I am thankful to be doing well with the treatment so far and for having such wonderful friends and family. I hope you are all well.

1 comment:

  1. Been thinking a lot about you this weekend, and hoping things went better this time around. Sending you lots of hugs, prayers, and positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete